FLX e-Gift Card
Give the gift of choice with a FLX gift card.
Gift cards are delivered by email and contain instructions to redeem them at checkout. Our gift cards have no additional processing fees.
This is flexibility training.
Originally designed by a professional dancer for use in some of the world’s top ballet companies, the Flexistretcher is an indispensable component of anyone’s fitness arsenal. Harnessing the power of elastic resistance, the Flexistretcher safely improves range of motion, while simultaneously strengthening the muscles as they stretch. This is flexibility training.
The Flexistretcher can be used by any age or fitness level. For serious athletes and dancers, the Flexistretcher can help extend range of motion and improve functional strength within specific positions necessary for a sport or activity. For casual exercisers and for rehabilitation purposes, the Flexistretcher can improve basic ranges of motion by applying the fundamental principles of the Flexistretcher – stretching and strengthening.
How does the Flexistretcher improve flexibility?
Core Flexistretcher movements include stretching and strengthening through use of elastic resistance with sturdy straps. A strap alone may not be the best tool. Yoga straps and other “static” stretching aids risk injury by forcing the user’s body into stretch positions, while the Flexistretcher’s elastic center strap allows the body to find a healthy range of movement. Elastic resistance also challenges muscles within positions, helping build strength and increase one’s range of motion. The Flexistretcher can be used for facilitated stretching, which is an active way of stretching that engages muscle contractions to achieve greater flexibility.
Utilizing elastic resistance allows for variable resistance throughout an exercise. Working against this resistance forces muscles to respond with increased effort, which promotes muscle growth, strength, and power.
How is the Flexistretcher different?
Unlike flimsy elastic stretching bands, the Flexistretcher’s resistance has been carefully measured to provide progressive stimulus to the muscle without sacrificing control. This combination of support and stretch cannot be found in any other product. The Flexistretcher’s size and shape allow it to be used in full body stretches (such as a ballet arabesque), but it can also be adjusted to target specific, smaller joints (such as shoulders or hips). Built to withstand the daily use of professional dancers, the Flexistretcher’s sturdy construction and custom designed parts are guaranteed to last.
By applying the training fundamentals employed by both dancers and athletes, the Flexistretcher becomes a beneficial apparatus in any fitness regimen. It is a perfect portable tool to enhance your stretch and strength routine anytime and anywhere. By incorporating elastic resistance, exercises offer many more possibilities of movement, greater range of motion, and the ability to work multiple muscles at the same time.
Who is the Flexistretcher® for?The Flexistretcher is beneficial for anyone who is looking to increase his/her flexibility while improving strength. Here are some genres for Flexistretcher use: fitness, general stretch, athletics, running, physical therapy, rehabilitation, martial arts, ballet, dance, gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, figure skating, yoga, pilates, athletics, synchronized swimming, runners and many more.
How does the Flexistretcher® increase flexibility and strength? The Flexistretcher® is the only portable training tool that combines stretch and strength. The elastic center is custom made for rigorous training and the nylon straps are fully adjustable for 100s of exercise possibilities. When performing a stretch with the Flexistretcher there is an inherent elastic resistance training approach where the muscles are required to be fully activated. You are then able to safely train and work on small exercises within the position focusing on alignment while slowing moving into a greater range of motion.
Why is the Flexistretcher®'s design better than other straps? The Flexistretcher is a patented training tool that is custom designed and researched to provide the best quality and effective training results. A few design features that sets is apart: custom strength elastic, connecting metal pieces, fully adjustable straps, rubber stoppers to avoid the pieces from falling off and a custom neoprene sleeve protector.
My Flexistretcher loop came undone. How do I fix it? The metal piece is easy to slide back on! You simply fold the nylon in half with the free end coming towards you. Then take the folded end and thread it under and over the metal piece, making sure to pull through enough space for a new loop. Here's a quick video that you can follow: Flexistretcher Loop Fix
Will the Flexistretcher® force me into an advanced stretch? No! The Flexistretcher will only allow you to go as far as your flexibility level. To modify any stretch simply bend the leg(s) to work with in your range. Because you are working against the resistance your muscles are required to be fully activated allowing for a safe way to flexibility train.
Will the Flexistretcher be the right size for me? The Flexistretcher's straps are fully adjustable which is perfect for all heights, flexibility levels and for a variety of exercises. If the stretch feels too loose simply tighten the straps and if you are unable to straighten your leg the straps are too tight or the stretch is too advanced and you should start with a modification working your way up to the full stretch.
I am already very flexible, is the Flexistretcher® for me? Yes! The Flexistretcher is very beneficial for building strength with in a pose. This kind of training is ideal for ballet and sport as you are able to simulate the movement required and encourage correct muscular activation. Every movement you are working against the resistance so for very flexible people we suggest pressing down into the straps and work to find correct alignment. This will fire up the muscles needed to HOLD the position against the resistance.
I want to teach Flexistretcher® classes. Join our growing community of certified FLX instructors! Attend one of our Instructor Certification Experiences.
How to stretch with the Flexistretcher
- The key to effective stretching and exercising with the Flexistretcher is engaging an active stretch based on Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF). The PNF stretching techniques employ the concept that the muscle relaxation part of the stretch is fundamental to effectively enhancing flexibility and deepening the stretch. A popular PNF technique is the contract-relax, where the muscle is stretched, contracted, relaxed and then stretched further.
- In a contract-relax active stretch with the Flexistretcher, you assume a position and hold it there, engaging the agonist muscles. These are the muscles required to extend the leg and hold it (such as an arabesque in ballet). Then, by resisting the resistance as if you are pushing your leg down to the floor, the targeted muscles are engaged. This is followed by the relaxation phase, and finishes with moving the limb into a greater range of motion
- The Flexistretcher facilitates contract-relax PNF by providing resistance, allowing the working muscle to voluntary contract against the tension. After a 5-10 second contraction followed by a 5-10 second muscle relaxation, the muscle is able to be stretched to a greater degree.
Tips for working with the Flexistretcher®Adjusting
- To adjust the straps: Pinch the metal slider with your middle finger and thumb. Slide up or down by using the pointer finger to guide the part along the strap. With your other hand pull and hold the back side of the loop while you are sliding the metal piece to adjust. Make sure to adjust the size of the loop as you are changing the length of the strap to avoid the metal piece coming completely off of the strap.
- Make sure the Flexistretcher® is the appropriate length before beginning an exercise.
- To change the overall length, adjust each nylon strap separately. Check that you adjust both sides equally, so the elastic always stays in the middle of the Flexistretcher®.
- Keep in mind: The shorter the nylon straps are, the more challenging the exercise will be, so start with the strap longer than you need, and slowly adjust it to be smaller, to find the right resistance for you.
- Often, you will be holding the loops in each hand while your foot is on the foam pad of the Flexistretcher®. Always put the foam pad around the arch of your foot, not the heel or toes. This is to avoid the risk of the Flexistretcher sliding off the foot in the middle of the exercise.
- For more advanced stretches, such as the arabesque, both loops will be around the center of the foot and the foam pad will be around the OPPOSITE shoulder.
- Make sure to securely have the straps around the center of the foot and not the ankle. This avoids the risk of not being able to safely and easily come out of the stretch.
- NEVER place both loops around the ankle, make sure the loops are around the center of the foot.
- NEVER place any part of the strap around your neck at any point.
- For children under the age of 12 make sure that there is supervision and that proper usage is understood before attempting any stretch alone.
- NEVER try any of these stretches with a theraband. These stretches and strengthening exercises were specifically designed to do with the Flexistretcher only. Flimsy straps or imitations will break and you will risk injury.
Elastic Resistance Methods
- When learning to work with the Flexistretcher® and elastic resistance, begin with a flexed foot in the strap to encourage pressing out long into the resistance and successfully engage targeted muscle groups allowing for correct form.
- Remember to not let the band snap back or loose the tension. Maintain the tension throughout an exercise or stretch for maximum benefits.
- Work against gravity and perform slow and controlled movements.
- Working with the Flexistretcher® provides an inherent elastic resistance training approach to every stretch and exercise. For maximum results in flexibility and strength make sure to follow the guidelines of working with elastic resistance.
The Flexistretcher is not a one time magic wand. Make sure to implement it consistently into your training routine. Here are some quick guidelines to follow:
- Frequency: At least 3 times per week.
- Intensity: Slowly stretch to a point of mild discomfort.
- Duration: Hold the stretch for at least 10 seconds and work up to 30 seconds.
- Repetition: Perform each stretch 3-5 times.